Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Black History Month


I celebrate my history all year long, but since it's PC to celebrate it in February I decided to do some things a little different this year.

How many of you are TIRED of hearing the SAME stories about Martin Luther King JR, Malcolm X, W. E. B. Du Bois, Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, and the Black Panthers Etc. I know I am. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE and appreciate their individual struggles and triumphs BUT they do not solely represent Black History! There are hundreds of great African Americans that have helped create change, shape our futures and add to the greatness of our people, why aren't THEY talked about? But even if we eliminate all that from the equation, is anyone else tired of talking about the things they (MLK, Malcolm X, W.E.B. Du Bois etc) have done? Their contributions have made a lasting impact but what about our contributions? Can we look at those? Have WE made a lasting impact? Are we working to make one?


I am all about progression. Let's acknowledge the work that was done and let's move forward. Let's talk about the 'here' and 'now'! As my AVID teacher said, "let's press 'pause' on the past and 'play' on the future!" I am dedicating this month to talking about where we are now and where we are heading. I want to look at us from all angles and see where we can improve. WE (because I want to engage you all) will talk about and look at our: education, health, finances, families, careers & aspirations. And the flip side to that is we will also look at and talk about gentrification, nihilism, genocide, & self-hate as these are all things that have added to the destruction of the black community. I will have a couple of individuals guest blogging about certain topics and it is my hope that you, yes YOU participate in the discussion.

Another crucial piece to my celebration of Black History Month is highlighting professional African Americans and business owners that. Most of the time when we look at our black figures they're in positions so high that it's almost impossible to reach out to them. I want to expose you all to some dynamic African Americans that are just like you and I. I think the black image gets perverted and distorted a lot in the media. For some, all they know about African Americans is that we are: pro athletes, rappers, singers, models, producers etc. We are so much more than the entertainment industry. We save lives (doctors), we seek justice for others (lawyers), we build/create/invent (engineers), we help you buy homes (real estate agents), we listen to and help you solve problems (therapist's), we educate your children (teachers) and we own businesses (Entrepreneurs). My vision is so big I can hardly contain it sometimes but one part of my vision is exposing African Americans to other careers outside of entertainment. We can do and be so much more than what we see on TV, which is why I created 'Spotlight on Greatness - African American's in Business'. I've hand selected multiple, professional black men and women who I see as being stellar, to be featured on this blog. They have each inspired me in different ways and they are shining examples of black men and women of excellence! Stay tuned...
Also, Im looking for guest blogger's for the month of February. If you have a topic that pertains to the black community let me know that you would like to write about, please let me know via Email

No comments:

Post a Comment